Have you ever wondered if your water is in a non-drinkable state ? Can your family become infected from its water source ? And there are many questions you can ask yourself about the cause of your family water. However, as long as you answer “Yes” to these questions, what you need right now is to buy a water filter for your family.
But wait, please refer to one of the ways below to be able to DIY water filters with a minimal cost, but the quality is not inferior to a filter sold in the market school.
Why should you make a DIY water filter ?
• First of all, its about the cost, making your water filter at home wont cost you as much as buying it.
from stores that sell water purification products.
• Materials you can use in your own family
• You can design your water filters so that they remain technically sound and meet the requirements and conditions his availability
• Once you like it, you can upgrade your filtering system at any time.
How to DIY water filters ?
Not everyone can understand the basics of drinking water filtration. Thats why its essential. We must learn how to apply it carefully, especially in emergencies grant. To be able to help you, we offer the following five methods, which method is entirely optional, depending on your capabilities and your finances.
1. Biological filter
Biofilter is a form of homemade filter, consisting of three separate layers of gravel, sand, activated carbon. This is the simplest method to filter impurities in the water from large to small. Things you need: Gravel, sand, activated carbon, the tank is divided into three compartments, plastic pipe fittings, hole saws.
1. Turn over the water container upside down.
2. Cut a hole in the bottom of the box (this is already facing up). This is where you will pour your material and water to the filter.
3. First, pour the activated carbon to the bottom. Activated carbon can remove small impurities, germs
dangerous diseases and long-term chemicals in water.
4. The second layer contains sand. Sand can filter out slightly more massive particles.
5. On the top layer, you pour a layer of gravel. This gravel layer acts like a filter to filter out impurities such as fallen leaves and dust Dirty, tiny creatures, even small animals or insects. You can improvise, and, in the case of other replaceable media, you can do not necessarily depend on sand, gravel, or activated carbon.
NOTE: Remember that when cutting holes, you should split large enough to fill the material and water inside quickly. Later, you hang the jar up high, and the final stage is to collect the filtered water.
Read more: How does a water softener work?
2. Distilled water filter
Materials: kettle, water heater, high-temperature resistant water hoses, water tanks
First, we connect the kettle and the water tank with a high-temperature resistant water pipe that has been prepared, so we need to connect the two connectors carefully to avoid leakage.
Note, the water container must be placed at a lower position than the kettle. Then fill the pot with water and put it on the stove until the water evaporates. Wait for a while; the water in the water tank is distilled water that can be used.
3. Charcoal filter
Things you will need: Charcoal, sand, 2-liter plastic bottle, some pieces of cloth. This filter looks like a biofilter, only missing gravel.
And instead of using activated carbon, you use charcoal. This is a perfect option when you are outside and not able to complete a biofilter. Like a biofilter, you put a layer of sand on a sheet of coal. Then you pour water through to filter. And coal is the main task in this filter.
However, unlike the biofilter, you can drink water directly, with this charcoal filter, the use of charcoal itself makes the filtered water still slightly dim and can not be taken to use right. To drink, you have to bring water to boil.
4. Boil water
A straightforward way to make your water safe to drink is by boiling it. No matter what your heat source is and how much water you boil, make sure that your water boils for at least 3 minutes.
5. Disinfection by solar energy (SODIS)
What you need: Water containers such as plastic bottles, plastic bottles… If you cannot make a filter like the four ways we mentioned above, this is the perfect solution for you because it can be called a self-filtering method.
True to the name of this method, the only thing you have to do is bring water to a place with sunlight for a long time for the suns rays to kill bacteria in the water.
However, this method has a disadvantage is that depending on the water source, the filtration time can take quite a bit of time. On the other hand, you cannot actively treat the water source because this method depends very much on the weather conditions.
1. Let the water you need to handle directly under sunlight.
2. Make sure the water is covered with a thin layer so impurities cannot penetrate.
3. Leave the water out for two hours
NOTE: If your water source is too cloudy, you should leave it in the sun for at least two days. And water disinfected by this method may not be completely pure. Therefore, it is best to boil water before drinking.
Above are some ways to make DIY water purifiers at home to drink directly. However, it is easy to see that the above methods always have disadvantages. The extraordinary thing is that these water filtration methods can only use with slightly polluted water. Still, it absolutely cannot use with alum, brackish, hardness water, as well as unable to handle low pH and TDS in water.
Most of the standard home water filtration options now have the common disadvantage of having to go through many stages, from material preparation to implementation. The amount of filtered water is limited, not fully met the demand for use, and does not guarantee clean water.
The use of a water filter with modern technology saves time, costs and ensures the purification of pure water to drink as well as live to protect the health of the family.
However, currently on the market, there are many types of water filters from many different manufacturers, functional structures, and different prices, so how to choose a filter that suits the needs of users of your family? Axiosreview hope you’ll make the right choice for your family needs.